The short version: I’ve been in software development since the dawn of time and have served in many different capacities. My strengths are in strategy, product development, team development/management, community building and partner engagement. I’m very passionately about conservation – environment and wildlife – and I’m currently exploring ways in which I can combine my passion with my expertise in technology.
I have served as an entrepreneur, executive director, technical director and lead product manager for numerous institutions and companies including MacArthur Foundation funded Connected Learning Alliance (CLA), Annenberg Innovation Lab at University of Southern California, Born This Way Foundation, Topspin Media (acquired by Beats Music) and Microsoft.
In November 2014 I co-founded KitHub, creative electronics for young innovators. KitHub empowers students, parents, and teachers to discover fun and stimulating ways to delve into activities that spark curiosity and promote creating, experimenting and designing so kids can build 21st century literacy and skills.
My passion for ensuring that kids have the opportunity to gain technology-related skills led me to found the non-profit, LA Makerspace (LAM), a family friendly DIY space in Los Angeles, where as I serve as Board Chairperson. LAM is the primary STEAM service provider for LA Public Library, the largest publicly funded library in the world.
I serve as a technology advisor to UC Irvine Digital Media Research Hub focusing on ‘Camp Minecraft’ with several organizations including Microsoft and Institute of Play.
I am a strong supporter of my community and as an entrepreneur, I felt compelled to showcase the Los Angeles tech startup community and co-created the globally recognized site, Represent.LA that is open sourced and re-used by cities around the world.
I have been an Artist-in-Residence at MuseumsQuartier in Vienna, Austria and a Hacker-in-Residence at Sparkfun in Boulder, CO.
My speaking engagements include LA Tech Summit, Caltech Entrepreneurs Forum, SXSW, OSCON, Mozilla Fest, IFFF Digital Literacy: Imagining the Future, CASH Music Summit, Silicon Beach Fest, Imagination Foundation Educator Salon, Rhizome, init(together), General Assembly, DIY Days, Fun Conf, Farmhouse Conf 2/3/4, BUFF Film Festival, Hollywood 3.0 Forum, Transmedia Hollywood 3, BarCampLA, BarCampSeattle.
In case you prefer bullet points:
- Co-founder KitHub, creative electronics for young innovators
- Technology Director at the Digital Media Learning Research Hub at UC Irvine
- Co-founder and Chairwoman at LA Makerspace
- Co-creator open-source map of LA Tech Startups: Represent.LA (adopted by 20 other cities and counting…)
- Former Technology Director at Connected Learning Alliance
- Former Technology Advisor at Born This Way Foundation
- Opinion pieces on Forbes about tech and women in tech
- Speaker – topics include women in tech, DIY spaces, youth and new passionate interests, hacking, tech
- Connects talented folks with tech startups in LA