Update! We are officially opening LA Makerspace on Jan. 1st, 2013 on the 11th floor of LA Mart located at 1933 S. Broadway, Suite 1138, Los Angeles, CA 90007. For more information please head over to the LA Makerspace website. Yaay!
For historical reference, I’m going to keep the list of how we go there below:
Ever since my husband opened Crashspace in Los Angeles and my son was born, I’ve wanted a permanent kid friendly hackerspace in LA. I want a place that I can hangout and work on fun projects with people of all ages and backgrounds. I want the space to include everything from gardening to electronics to laser cutting to music to fine art. I WANT ALL THINGS. I wrote some ideas down here.
I’m making progress and connecting with like-minded souls from around Los Angeles that host pop-up maker events, are science teachers and work with kids in after-school programs.
- May 6th we held our first public event to discuss our vision and brainstorm ways to fund it and make it a sustainable and affordable space for the DIYers of LA.
- May 9th I attended the first advisory board meeting for Caine’s Arcade Foundation. There’s some possible synergy there.
- May 14th was our first working group meeting to discuss the physical space. 15 enthusiasts came out from all different backgrounds: teachers, parents, startup techies, filmmakers, etc. Meeting notes are here.
- May 19-20th Tara attended Maker Faire and hungout with kids making cool stuff and observing which projects kids of various ages gravitate towards. Blog post is here.
- May 30th was our second working group meeting. Meeting notes are here.
- June 11th: Working Group Meeting #3.
- June 17th: Get a demo of the equipment at Crashspace.
- June 23rd we hosted a Youth Hack Jam at Wildwood School. It was a huge success. You can read about it here.
- June 25th: Working Group Meeting #4.
- We released our new website LA Makerspace and Twitter @lamakerspace.
- July 17th: Working Group Meeting #5.
- July 28th: Scratch Programming Class for 4-11 year olds + parents
- July 29th: eTextiles event for Ladies in Tech
- July 29th: We signed the paperwork for Fiscal Sponsorship and to start work on our 501c3!!! Thanks Home and Community!
- July 31st: Working Group Meetup #6 at the Natural History Museum.
- August 11th: Arduino class at Crashspace instructed by 11 year old QuinTechKnow
- Sept. 8th: The Chemistry of Food Event at 24th Street Theatre
- Sept. 26th: Some of our Scratch Kids were filmed for a documentary by the Producers of Waiting for Superman
- Sept. 27th: Erin, a Scratch coder, was on a Coder Dojo panel at Sony discussing kids that code and game
- Oct. 3rd: Exactly 5 months after I published this blog post, we finalized the lease details at LA Mart for LA Makerspace
- Oct. 21st: Light Up Your Night: DIY LED Lanterns
- Oct. 27th: Master Makeup Effects with Brian Hillard & KNB Special Effects (The Walking Dead & Transformers!!)
- Oct.28th: Halloween Open House including Master Makeup Effects, Wig Styling/Decorating and a Contest!